Table of contents:
Video: The Meaning Of The Name Praskovya (Parasha)
The short form of the name Praskovya. Paraska, Kunya, Panyusha, Pana, Panya, Para, Paranya, Parasa, Paraskovyushka, Parasia, Paraha, Parasha, Parunya, Parusha, Pasha, Pora, Praskunya, Praskuta, Pronya, Kev.
Synonyms for the name Praskovya. Paraskeva, Paraschiva, Parashkeva, Paraskovia, Petka, Petkana.
The origin of the name Praskovya. The name Praskovya is Russian, Ukrainian, Orthodox, Greek.
The name Praskovya is of Greek origin. Praskovya is the Russian pronunciation of the Greek name Paraskeva, which means “the eve of the holiday” (meaning the day of the week - Saturday). Also translated as "waiting, preparing".
The Orthodox especially revered the Great Martyr Paraskeva Friday. Paraseva was born during the reign of Emperor Diocletian. Her parents very much honored Friday, the day when the Lord was crucified, therefore they named their daughter in honor of the day of the week (Friday). Saint Paraskeva was martyred during the persecution of Christians.
Saint Paraskeva is the patroness of fields and livestock, it is to her that they pray to save livestock from mortality. The holy martyr is a healer of people from the most serious mental and physical ailments. It is possible that among the Slavs the image of St. Paraskeva Pyatnitsa became an association with the pagan goddess Friday, who was the patroness of domestic animals, as well as the patroness of fertility and female handicrafts. In Russia, out of respect for Holy Friday, spinners and weavers tried not to spin or weave.
Conversational forms: Paraska, Kunya, Panyusha, Pana, Panya, Para, Paranya, Parasa, Paraskovyushka, Parasya, Paraha, Parasha, Parunya, Paruha, Parusha, Pasha, Pora, Praskovyushka, Praskunya, Praskuta, Pronya, Millet, Punya, Keta, Keva, Peka, Patsa.
There is a male name Paraskev, which is a paired name to the name Praskovya, but it is used very rarely. The names Petka (female) and Petko (male) are very popular among Bulgarians, which are literal translations of the name Paraskeva. Derivative names - Petkana, Petkan.
Praskovya grows up as a calm girl. Parents should temper the girl. Praskovya starts speaking early, pronounces letters clearly and builds sentences correctly. And, starting to speak, Praskovya seeks to ask many questions, which require detailed explanations. Although the girl is not capricious, she knows how to achieve what she wants.
Even in childhood, Praskovya shows seriousness and rationality. In games, she thinks through everything to the smallest detail, does not forget or lose anything. The girl is assiduous, studies well, manages to help both friends and parents. Praskovya strives to plan both the day and the whole life. Women with this name are very capable, they can easily prove themselves in various fields of activity.
Born in December, Praskovya is a lover of command, trying to make everyone circle around her. Praskovya loves to give advice - it seems to her that without her advice no one can really do the right thing. However, she does not impose her opinion on others, does not try to subordinate her to her will.
Women with this name are characterized by such qualities as honesty, integrity and fairness. Praskovya does not tolerate deception and is harsh with those who lied to her. By the same criteria Praskovya evaluates a person. She is indifferent to his social or official position, but kindness, honesty and decency are very important. Praskovya is no less strict and self-critical of herself.
Praskovya's straightforwardness is significantly softened by the girl's inherent sense of humor. Girls born in winter or autumn are very secretive, they do not open up completely even to close friends. But at the same time, they can be entrusted with any secret.
Praskovya chooses her future profession while still in school. And, having received a higher education, he definitely works in his specialty. Praskovya is very dedicated to her work. Often it is she who is the "generator" of new ideas. A girl with this name is ambitious and quickly moving up the career ladder. She can make a great boss and organizer. Praskovya has all the prerequisites to lead the team perfectly.
Praskovya does not always manage to build a strong family right away. A girl can be married several times, although a very devoted wife and a good hostess comes out of her. However, Praskovya is characterized by some imperiousness, with which not every man can accept.
A girl with this name is liberated and decisive in relations with men. She can even make an offer to her chosen one herself or, on her own initiative, get to know the man she likes. The girl does not like to demonstrate the affection and tenderness characteristic of Praskovya, her personal life is usually hidden from prying eyes. Praskovya avoids promiscuous relationships, but if the relationship with a partner does not suit her, then she will cut them off and find another man for herself. Although it also happens that partners leave her. In a relationship, a girl does not tolerate omissions, uncertainty and lies.
Praskovya celebrates name day on April 2, August 8, October 27, November 10.
Famous people named Praskovya
- Saint Paraskeva-Friday (Christian Great Martyr of the 3rd century)
- Saint Paraskeva of Rome ((c. 140 - c. 180) martyr of the 2nd century is believed to have healed Emperor Antoninus Pius of blindness. The Toplovsky Convent of St. Paraskeva in Crimea is dedicated to her, where there are healing springs useful for eye patients, the Church of St. Paraskeva in Cyprus (Agia Paraskeva))
- Venerable Paraskeva-Petka of Serbia (Byzantine ascetic of the XI century, especially revered in the Balkan countries)
- Evdokia Lopukhina ((1669 - 1731) birth name - Praskovya, in monasticism - Elena; Russian tsarina, first wife of Peter I, mother of Tsarevich Alexei, grandmother of Peter II)
- Polina Botezat ((1922 - 2001) stage name - Praskovya Botezat; Moldavian Soviet singer (lyric soprano) and teacher, People's Artist of the Moldavian SSR (1966))
- Praskovya (Parasha) Kovaleva-Zhemchugova, Countess Sheremeteva ((1768 - 1803) actress and singer of the serf theater of the Counts Sheremetevs)
- Praskovya Osipova (by her first husband - Wulf, nee - Vyndomskaya; Pskov noblewoman, mistress of the Trigorskoye estate, mother of Baroness E. N. Vrevskaya, A. S. Pushkin's neighbor on the Mikhailovskoye estate and a close friend of the poet)
- Praskovya Savelyeva ((1918 - 1944) Soviet underground worker)
- Larin Paraske ((1833 - 1904) pseudonym of Praskovya (Paraskeva) Nikitina (married Stepanova); Izhora rune singer, who knew more than 32 thousand verses, folk and her own composition)
- Praskovya Ivanovna ((1694 - 1731) princess, youngest daughter of Ivan V Alekseevich and Praskovya Fedorovna Saltykova, niece of Emperor Peter I)
- Praskovya Zimatova ((1918 - 1941) partisan intelligence officer, posthumously awarded the Order of Lenin. In 1968, a memorial plaque was erected on the school building in the village of Bolshoye Kapkovo, and in 1965 a street in her small homeland, in the city of Zubtsov, was named after Zimatova. The poem of S. I. Kirsanov "Silence" (1942) and the poem of A. D. Dementyev "Courage" (1958) are dedicated to the feat of Praskovya Zimatova.)
- Tsarina Praskovya Fyodorovna ((1664 - 1723) nee Saltykova; since 1684, the only wife of Tsar Ivan Alekseevich, to whom she gave birth only to daughters; mother of Empress Anna Ioannovna and grandmother of ruler Anna Leopoldovna)
- Praskovya Bruce ((1729 - 1786) nee - Rumyantseva; Countess, court lady of Catherine II (who called her Bryussha, Parasha, Paranya), sister of the commander Peter Rumyantsev-Zadunaisky, was married to Count Yakov Alexandrovich Bruce)
- Praskovya Malinina ((1904 - 1983) innovator of collective farm production, chairman of the "12th October" collective farm in the Kostroma region, twice Hero of Socialist Labor (1948, 1974))
- Praskovya (Pasha) Angelina ((1912/1913 - 1959) a famous participant in the Stakhanov movement during the first five-year plans, foreman of the MTS tractor brigade, shock worker, twice Hero of Socialist Labor (1947, 1958))
- Praskovya Chukhno (chairman of the collective farm in the Krasnoarmeisky district of the Zhytomyr region, Hero of Socialist Labor)
- Praskovya Kovrova ((1893 - 1969) milkmaid of the collective farm "Fundament of Socialism" (Shilovsky District, Ryazan Region), twice Hero of Socialist Labor (1952, 1957) for high performance in animal husbandry; Praskovya Kovrova installed a bronze bust in her homeland)
- Praskovya Gagarina ((1762 - 1848) after the second marriage - Kologrivova, nee - Trubetskaya; famous beauty, the first Russian aeronaut)
- Praskovya Antipova ((1848 - 1918) founder and headmistress of a private female gymnasium that existed in Yaroslavl in 1907 - 1917)
- Praskovya Chernikova ((died 1833) artist of opera (mezzo-soprano) and drama, actress of the imperial theater. The wife of the artist VM Chernikov, mother of the artist Sofya Samoilova. Praskovya Chernikova was one of the very first professional artists in Russia.)
- Praskovya Lachinova ((1829 - 1892) Russian writer, translator. Her works and translations, which she published under the pseudonym P. Letnev, including in the magazines "Delo", "Observer", "Russian Word", "Son of the Fatherland" and others, enjoyed great success among a wide range of readers of the mid-late 19th century)
- Paraska (Praskovya) Korolyuk ((1939 - 2010) known as Baba Paraska; an active participant in the Orange Revolution and subsequent political events in Ukraine on the side of the "orange" political forces. Baba Paraska is often called the symbol of the "Orange Revolution".)
- Praskovya Uvarova ((1840 - 1924) Countess, Russian scientist, historian, archaeologist)
- Praskovya Lupolova ((about 1784 - 1809) daughter of the Ishim exile, the prototype of a number of works of art by Western European and Russian writers of the 19th century)
- Theodosia Solovaya ((died 1621) in tonsure - Paraskeva; second wife of Tsarevich Ivan, daughter-in-law of Ivan the Terrible)